The bishops, united in the Episcopal Conference, announced Tuesday that the dialogue in Nicaragua will continue in the coming days and they discarded abandoning that table, despite the verbal and physical attack they suffered Monday in Carazo.
The decision was made by the bishops after a six-hour meeting at the Seminary de Fatima, in Managua.
The information has been confirmed by Monsignor Carlos Herrera, Bishop of Jinotega, who gave statements to the media.
“It will continue (the dialogue) … we join with so much pain and suffering of so many people who have suffered this violence, united with patience and humility,” said Herrera today.
The Monsignor explained that the dialogue in Nicaragua is a means to try to stop acts of violence.
“The environment is difficult, we hope it will not grow (…),” said the priest.
What happened against the bishops “is something serious, something never seen and hopefully it will not happen again,” said Herrera.
The dialogue in Nicaragua began on May 16, but has been suspended due to acts of repression by the government of Daniel Ortega.
On Monday, the bishops, led by Cardinal Leopoldo Brenes, traveled to Carazo, to show solidarity with the victims of the armed attacks on Sunday, which left at least 14 dead, but suffered verbal and physical attacks from mobs and parapolicias.
The crisis in Nicaragua, which began on April 18, has left more than 320 people dead so far.
The bishops, together with the international community, have asked the government to stop the repression and also an advance of elections.
On the electoral issue, the president Daniel Ortega rejected the idea, during an event held on July 7.
Source (in Spanish): El Nuevo Diario