The USGS has reported an earthquake of magnitude 5.9 occurring on Tuesday off the coast of Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
The earthquake occurred in Pacific Ocean, 79 kilometers southwest of Pacific coastal town of San Juan del Sur.
The quake occurred at 9:03 am local time.
According to United States Geological Survey (USGS), the epicenter of the tremor was 142 km south of the Nicaraguan capital of Managua, at a depth of 59 km.
— ModernTimes (@ModernTimesLB) January 16, 2018
At first the USGS put the magnitude of the earthquake at 6.0 but later it revised it.
There are no reports of injuries or damage at this point, and no tsunami threat was announced. According to reports some electrical poles in Managua have fallen.
Most important Data:
- San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua, Population: 7,790
- Rivas, Nicaragua, Population: 30,293
- Nandaime, Nicaragua, Population: 20,810
- San Rafael del Sur, Nicaragua, Population: 29,836
- Jinotepe, Nicaragua, Population: 29,507