In the official government website, El19digital.com, the Government of Nicaragua strongly rejects the sanctions by the “North American Imperial Power” – the United States – against President Daniel Ortega’s wife and the country’s vice-president, Rosario Murillo and one of his aides.
The executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump targets Nicaraguan officials for a crackdown on anti-government protests, punishing Murillo and Nestor Moncada Lau, accusing them of undermining Nicaragua’s democracy.
The website states:
The Gobierno de Reconciliación y Unidad Nacional (Government of Reconciliation and National Unity) faithful to its Historical Proposal to work so that Peace, Security, Advances in the Struggle against Poverty and the Full Rights of all Nicaraguans, ratify the Families of our Nicaragua, and the World:
1. We strongly reject the Declaration and Resolution of the Executive Order issued today by the Government of the United States.
2. We categorically reject the historical continuity of the Interventionist Policy and Intervention of the North American Imperial Power, against Nicaragua.
3. On behalf of the Patriotic Legacy, the Heroic Heritage and the Victorious Nationalist Struggles of Soldier Andres Castro, of General Benjamín Zeledón, of Sandino, General of Free Men and Women, of Carlos Fonseca and of the Sandinista National Liberation Front, we demand Nicaraguan Dignity and Pride, the inalienable Right to our Sovereignty and Independence.
4. On behalf of the indomitable Spirit of all the Heroes and Martyrs who in all times have given their Lives for a Free, United, Prosperous and full of Faith and Hope Nicaragua, we proclaim that we are an undefeated race, that we do not sell ourselves or ourselves we surrender, and we demand Free Homeland, with the Flags and the Heart held high.
5. Full of National Love, of Courageous and Fraternal Coexistence, we declare inadmissible, inconsequential, disrespectful, false and illegitimate all the accusations that ratify the imperialist perspectives and practices of the United States of America, and the servile and abject condition of the Creole sellouts.
6. As our immortal Darío said, the United States can have everything, but it lacks one thing: God!
7. Who are the traitors to the Fatherland? Said Sandino: “1. Every Nicaraguan who with political aims will traffic with the honor of the nation … “
8. Homeland and Freedom, said Sandino … Sovereign, Dignified, Independent Homeland. Proud and Great Spirit Homeland. Homeland to love it, defend it, and so that its Lights shine without ruja “the voice of the cannon”.
Homeland, in Faith and Hope!
Nicaragua will remain free because it has children who love it …!
Long live the Sandinista National Liberation Front!
Live the Free Homeland!
Let’s go forward!
The message was signed in Managua, November 27, 2018, by the Gobierno de Reconciliación y Unidad Nacional.
The message is typical of the rhetoric by Daniel Ortega over the decades, calling the U.S. the “Imperial Power”, denouncing it as “inteventionist” in Nicaragua and its people.
The rhetoric was soon affirmed early in his presidency when in 2008 Ortega renewed his call for a regional unification against an alleged campaign by the United States in particular Venezuela and Nicaragua.
On the Venezuelan media, with additional funding by the government of Nicaragua, TELESUR, Ortega accused the United States of attempting to “destroy the project of justice, equality, and solidarity” of the Bolivarian Alternative for the Americas (ALBA), and PETROCARIBE, the Venezuelan oil alliance with 12 Caribbean nations plus Honduras and Nicaragua.
Ten years later, in July of this year, Ortega told the Euronews and CNN Spanish television channels the unrest was fomented by the United States.
Since April 19, when the protests began more than 300 Nicaraguans have died – closer to 500 according to Nicaraguan rights groups and the UN – and some 2,000 injured.
You must be logged in to post a comment.